Besides being another name for chat/communication, a dialog (short for dialog box or dialog window and another name for "popup" or "toaster" window) is a user interface (UI) element used throughout Second Life that has options for the user to choose from.
A dialog can appear on a resident's screen in the:
- center, with a dark grey background:
- Automatically replace existing attachments
- Leave Busy Mode when paying a person or object
- Setting Pay Object on object without money() script event
- When loading transactions web page
- When moving no-copy inventory from objects
- When moving no-copy inventory from scripted objects
- When paying a person or object in busy mode
- After being logged out of SL due to idling/inactivity.
- upper-right corner:
- Bottom right corner, usually indicating when a friend has logged on/off Second Life; see online status notification.