Fandom

Second Life Wikia

Town Hall 6/10/03/5pm

2,571pages on
this wiki
Add New Page
Talk0 Share

Ad blocker interference detected!


Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers

Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.

Forum Link: Original Post

6/10/2003 5pm Town Hall with Philip Linden

You = Hunter Linden


You: hi guys - philip is on his way so we'll start in a minute
You: ta da - philip linden
You: i see lots of pretty fancy people here tonight
You: okay... let me say a few things then turn the floor over to Philip Linden
You: First, thanks for attending
You: It's great to see so many people - some new, many old
You: We're also especially excited to see so many people getting ready to "cross over to release" with us
You: the alpha and beta have been amazing
You: and SL will continue to evolve
You: but it will soon be time to take the next step and....
You: start inviting more people in!
You: These townhalls will give all of you guys the chance....
You: to ask questions about the end of beta
You: and launch of Second Life
You: okay....put your hands together
You: for PHILIP LINDEN

Philip Linden: hi everyone!
Philip Linden: as always, I could just sit up here and watch all of you.
Philip Linden: my zoom fingers are getting tired.
Philip Linden: So first let me start by saying THANKS to everyone who has signed up so quickly.
Philip Linden: We've got a long way to go, but this is a fabulous start!
Philip Linden: I guess this can be like a telethon... you've gotta sign up while I'm up here ;)
Philip Linden: OK so anyway I'm sure we've got lots to talk about.... I'll not try and anticipate Q's and just start with you...
Philip Linden: who’s first?

James Miller : Are you able to tell us how many registrations you have gotten to date?
Philip Linden: We're not giving out numbers so early!
Philip Linden: Wanna give folks time to decide.
James Miller: aww, come on, we wont tell!
Philip Linden: Yeah right ;)
James Miller: gah, Now I gotta hang up with Tech TV! :(

Christopher Omega: Will situations like this one where many ppl are concentrated into one area be improved?
Philip Linden: Yes!
Philip Linden: There are two phases of solutions we are working on.
Philip Linden : The first is just supporting more ppl interactively, like this.
Philip Linden: First thing is faster physics... we are working hard on that.
Philip Linden: Next is a mode where LOTS of ppl can be at an event less interactively.
Philip Linden : Like a camera or something.
Philip Linden : So the first you will see soon
Philip Linden : The second will be later
Philip Linden : But this is our #1 task.

Adam Money: when’s the game going public? 23rd?
Philip Linden: Hmmmm.....
Philip Linden : Honestly we are trying to keep the exact date under wraps
Philip Linden : So we are keeping that secret... but it is very soon.

Derek Jones: Will you be adding any new gestures to SL before the final release?
Philip Linden: Yes.
Philip Linden : We have several new anims.
Philip Linden : One that was requested was a bow/arrow, and I know that's in.
Philip Linden : Also we are expanding to be able to handle lots more... expect some in each release

Cal Rogers: I'm concerned about the issue of object usage in a sim, I left one sim because of 95+% utilization. Now I'm in one with 83%.
Philip Linden : Yeah, that's a good Q
Cal Rogers: Will this limitation be raised, or punishment be issued for banking objects?
Philip Linden : Regions can only handle so many objects.
Philip Linden : We will increase this as we are able.
Philip Linden : And as folks leave, etc, space will generally free up.
Philip Linden : There has to always be some regulator.
Philip Linden : Also we will always be adding more land... very soon in fact.

James Argonaut: there have been some issues with the Physics engines not being able to move really heavy items, no matter how much force is applied
Philip Linden : Ooh good question
James Argonaut: is this a bug or intentional?
Philip Linden : So that is by design!
Philip Linden : So there is a limit to the forces objects can apply.
Philip Linden : This limit is driven by the mass of the object!
Philip Linden: So small things push less, bug harder.
James Argonaut : is there a equation that you can give us to tell us max force?
Philip Linden : I will look into that for you.
James Argonaut: thanks :)
Philip Linden : The design prevents small stuff from being too annoying

Charlie Omega : some of us have become accustomed to the features in the debug menu, will these be avail to us after release?
Philip Linden : Some will, some won't. We will try and make them more functional by moving to other menus.
Philip Linden : Power users will always be happy ;)

Darque Grimm: will the primitive limit be increased and or the avatar limit in a sim, this is a big issue for those that live in da boom
Philip Linden : I will look into whether we can free some stuff in DaBoom.
Philip Linden: As I said earlier, expect stuff in general to free as new land comes on.

Teeny Leviathan : Are there any plans to give us more flexible construction tools?
Philip Linden : We are always focused on the tools
Philip Linden : What in particular... AV or Prims or what?
Teeny Leviathan: I find that it’s difficult to do windows without stacking a few prims. Any plans on a more precise subtract tool?
Philip Linden: OK. Subtraction.
Philip Linden: So that is a bigger problem. I can't forecast a quick sol'n
Philip Linden: But it is something we are thinking about.
Philip Linden: Sorry I can't be more specific.... it is a hard prob b/c of the CPU load in creating the subtraction surfaces.
Teeny Leviathan: IRL, I'm a CAD drafter, and we have a few nice features in Autocad like array and mirror. They really come in handy.
Philip Linden : And you all don't want lower FPS now do you? ;)

Hiro Yamamoto: What about objects not being aligned after you don't look at them for a while (especially attachments which slowly drift totally askew over time)
Craig Thompson: it happens majorly moving when your sitting on something and crossing sim line, just much slower when an attachment
Philip Linden: Hmmm... that sounds bad!
Philip Linden: I haven't heard about that one.
Philip Linden: Can you put a bug into the forums on the specific case of attachments drifting.
Philip Linden: I will follow up with you.
Philip Linden: that shouldn't be happening.

Kathy Yamamoto: What will the age requirements be when this goes public? And when do you see them changing?
Philip Linden: The age requirements will be the same at public as today.
Philip Linden: We feel that there needs to be great parental controls to explicitly allow younger.
Philip Linden: But we do want to make SL available to all, so we will work aggressively on this.

Hikaru Yamamoto: Will we still keep the voting booths?
Hikaru Yamamoto: or will the vote system change?
Philip Linden: Ahh.... the tricky booth subject! I'll duck the tomatoes!
Philip Linden: We will launch with them... but will move to a system that rewards differently in 1.1 timeframe.
Philip Linden: So this will be connected to improvements in mapping, for example...
Philip Linden: So if you have a popular spot, it will also be easier to find if well liked.

Dave Zeeman : I know the Lindens are on the rail about custom animations. I was wondering if you had any sort of plan for it set up, and if not, if you're looking for plans through the forum.
Philip Linden: Ooh that's a good one!
Philip Linden: We think that we will do them for sure.
Philip Linden: SL WILL be the most expressive place ever! And this is a part.
Philip Linden: However, it isn't trivial, so I don't want to commit to which release or exactly when.

Kaji LeFay: i want to know what will happen to property when some one doesn’t join
Kaji LeFay: and items and all that
Philip Linden: It will be released to public in the way that decay occurs today.
Philip Linden: So there will be more land for you all!
Kaji LeFay: so i will always exist in the world even though i don’t join
Philip Linden: No, only for a short while.
Philip Linden: In general if you leave SL your stuff decays.

Cal Rogers: I wanted to voice my vote for the preference option to suppress Online and Offline messages for those we hold calling cards for.
Philip Linden: If you don't want messages from someone, you should delete their card, right?
Philip Linden: The idea is that cards are a contract like friendship.
Philip Linden: This makes them more meaningful
Darque Grimm: no he mean the "bob is online bob is offline" messages
Philip Linden: Oh OK!
Philip Linden: Sorry.
Philip Linden: Yeah we will look into that... we are thinking about a better 'console' for system msgs
Philip Linden: like those.
Philip Linden: So you will see updates to that soon.
Craig Thompson: so well get a Half-Life Console?
Philip Linden: Umm... yeah... something like that ;)

Mickey Roark: regarding someone not joining: what about -no copy -no modify (especially scripts), that are already sold or bought, what happens to them?
Philip Linden: Good Question.
Philip Linden: Things you have bought you can always keep.
Philip Linden: So they will not decay.
Philip Linden: Permissions will be respected, though.
Philip Linden: So you will not be able to edit.
Mickey Roark: so it they are broken we are sol?
Philip Linden: Someone can claim objects in public, but not edit.
Philip Linden: Indeed, you are then SOL... it seems the only fair thing.
Philip Linden: Considering that the alternative would be a real breach of creative privacy.

Christopher Omega: Do you have an "expected by" date for script, texture, and other inventory other then object permissions?
Philip Linden: Yes, that work will be in the next release, late summer.
Christopher Omega: can I ask how they will work yet?
Philip Linden: Too early to describe, but we are designing and will post design.

James Argonaut: will we be able to import midi files?
Philip Linden: Midi files are a technical challenge...
Philip Linden: Interesting idea.
Philip Linden: We can put it on the list if you want.
Philip Linden: .ogg will be easier.
Philip Linden: Since we use it already as the format.

Darque Grimm: will the scripting language ever be simplified to something maybe more like qbasic, so more people could do it?
Philip Linden: Good forum thread! We have some ideas about better design there.
Philip Linden: Like for example global vars you can change with sliders, etc.
Philip Linden: Would be interested in folk's thoughts on that... start a thread.

Hiro Yamamoto: Would it be possible to have non humanoid avatars? like just have an object you make be an avatar?
Philip Linden: Hiro...
Philip Linden: Attachments will have to do for a while...
Hikaru Yamamoto: heh, it would be to turn really tiny and make a tiny home only you can fit through
Philip Linden: The system is fairly keyed to humans right now.
Philip Linden: But another soln might be hierarchies, etc, which we are thinking about.
Philip Linden: So you could make a complex jointed object.

Dave Zeeman : Do you plan on adding new terraforming features, such as a larger editing box or more specific ways of changing the landscape?
Philip Linden: Yes, we are working on that!
Philip Linden: Realize the existing tools are rather basic.
Philip Linden: Just talking about that today...
Philip Linden: Don't have specific schedule for it.

Darque Grimm: will you soon be implementing a AFK and BUSY auto response?
Philip Linden: OK so you mean adding a custom away message?
Philip Linden: We will try and add that to the near term list.
Darque Grimm: yes ,heck any if not custom
Philip Linden: Oh... actually should be in 0.8
Philip Linden: SO check it out.

Charlie Omega: could there be a way for a optional huge cache directory so that maybe textures known to the servers within a specified area can be loaded on the client in an encrypted form that stays resident on the client system, therefore reducing packets/lag?
Philip Linden: Yes we are looking into that as one of the ways to increase performance
Philip Linden: The textures aren't the biggest part of it, actually...
Philip Linden: but that’s the general idea.
Charlie Omega: really?
Philip Linden: Yes it is object creation, etc that is most of the load.
Charlie Omega: ah

You: okay everyone - thanks for coming
You: i'll post a chat log of the event
Philip Linden: Thank you all again for staying with us!!!
Philip Linden: I bow to you.

Also on Fandom

Random Wiki